I've said it before, and I'll say it again:
Citrus treats should be enjoyed year-round...not just during the heat of summer, alongside a glass of lemonade.
For this reason, Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes will be included in the cupcake assortment featured at Liz's baby shower this weekend. These cupcakes are loaded with orange juice, orange extract, and even a little orange peel. I went with a lemon theme for the frosting, altering my simple buttercream recipe by using lemon juice instead of milk, and adding a dash of lemon extract.
Need a little more sweetness? A hint of decadence? Drizzle some melted white chocolate across the tops. More white chocolate only makes things better. I promise.
With that being said, I'm off to spend the better part of today preparing for tomorrow's baby-loving festival. May there be lots of games, plenty of tea sandwiches, and a bowl full of that delicious punch with a block sherbet floating on top.
Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes
(adapted from a recipe in Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World)
If lemon isn't your thing, create an Orange Buttercream frosting by substituting orange juice and extract for the lemon juice and extract.
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp. orange extract
- 1 - 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. finely grated orange zest
- 1/3 cup white chocolate chips, dusted with about 1/2 TBSP flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 - 1/2 confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 tsp. lemon extract
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 - 3 TBSP lemon juice
- extra milk, if needed
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners.
2) Combine oil, sugar, milk, juice, and extracts in a large mixing bowl. Sift in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and zest. Beat for 2 - 3 minutes. Stir in white chocolate chips. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 20 - 23 minutes, or until the edges turn golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
3) To prepare frosting: Beat the butter and shortening for about 1 - 2 minutes. Add sugar, extract, and lemon juice and continue mixing. Add additional milk if needed for the consistency. Beat for 3 - 4 minutes, until light and fluffy.