Citrus flavors remind me of summer: picnics, sunshine, and eating on the porch. Pass me some lemonade and sunscreen, and rev up the lawn mower. The sweet senses of summer are just around the corner.
What, you may ask, brings summer (and citrus) to mind in the dead of winter? Why would I write about a summer-time dish...while I'm buried under a blanket on the couch, wearing my snowflake pajama pants?
Try Citrus Quinoa Salad. This big salad rocked my summer-loving world--I found myself mentally time-traveling to July with every bite.
This summer-in-the-winter dinner dish pairs sweet clementines with savory seasonings like cumin, coriander and cilantro. And don't forget the avocado. Oh, the creamy, buttery avocado (did you ever taste a more buttery vegetable?).
With this salad, enjoy the taste of summer in the dead of winter. Time-traveling to July is just what we need when snow covers the ground.
Citrus Quinoa Salad
(recipe adapted from Cooking Light)
The dressing for this salad is truly a show-stopper--it makes the dish, so don't even think about substituting with a store-bought variation. Try adding toasted nuts for an additional punch of protein.
- 2 tsp. grated orange rind
- Grated lemon rind from one lemon
- 3 TBSP fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1 TBSP fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- sprinkling of paprika
- A drizzle of olive oil (about 1 TBSP)
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1 - 3/4 cup water
- 3 - 4 clementines, coursely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 firm avocado, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
1) Whisk together dressing ingredients until well-combined; set aside.
2) Place quinoa and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until water is absorbed and quinoa is fully cooked (about 10 - 15 minutes).
3) Combine quinoa with vegetables. Pour dressing over quinoa mixture and stir to coat. Close your eyes and imagine it's July...and you're sipping a margarita with your bowl of Citrus Quinoa Salad...on the beach.