Sunday, March 6, 2011

Gal Pal Recipe Share

If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times: What would we do without girlfriends?

Some require phone connections, with 600 miles between you. Others you get to see on a weekly basis. Regardless of how you connect to your gal pals, you always know they're right there for a phone chat, shopping trip, or hilarious game night.

And, if you have the mad cooking and baking skills of my friends, they're usually ready for a recipe share.

Today's recipe comes from my dear friend Amy, previously famous on this blog for her homemade eggnog (on my deathbed, I've requested that an IV bag of her holiday beverage be hooked up to my shrimpy veins).

Today, however, she's famous for the Black Bean and Corn Salsa pictured above. So simple. So versatile. And so very, very scrumptious.

While the obvious serving suggestion is with tortilla chips, this tasty salad/condiment goes well with most any savory dish. This weekend I enjoyed it atop a simple sweet potato saute (cubed sweet potatoes, onions, bell pepper, garlic, and chickpeas sauteed until browned).

So, how will you consume your Black Bean and Corn Salsa? Perhaps you're a chip dipper. Or a burrito-filler? Or maybe...just maybe...you like to eat it right out of the bowl with a spoon :)

Black Bean and Corn Salsa
(recipe from Amy)

Ingredients:
  • 2 cans of shoepeg corn, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 3/4 cup red onion, finely diced
  • 3/4 cup red or green bell pepper, diced
  • 2 jalepeno peppers, diced
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 1 - 1/2 TBSP dijon mustard
  • a dash of honey
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
  • salt and black pepper, to taste
Directions:
Combine corn, beans, onion, bell pepper, and jalepeno peppers in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, olive oil, mustard, honey, and parsley. Pour over veggies and stir to coat. Season with salt and pepper.

10 comments:

  1. I make a recipe similar to this one...I usually eat it right out of the mixing bowl once I've done prepping it! A non-guilty pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks awesome! I'm pretty much an eat-it-with-a-spoon person...or roll it up in lettuce leaves. That's just because I don't control my chip intake very well :)

    I am going to make this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bean and corn are great combination! The bonus is the convenience of using canned bean and corns and they are great health food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had something similar to this, although it includes kidney beans and garbanzo beans too -- we call it Texas Caviar. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like recipes that come from friends and can be shared with friends too :) This is the perfect recipe for snacking on and drinking margaritas! Now I just need to plan a night in with the girls :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally agree, great combo!!!! I don't have any tortilla chips but this would serve well as a fresh side dish = )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love exchanging recipes with people. None of my friends really cook, so I am always asking my cousins and aunts and uncles. My uncles are awesome cooks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmmm! That looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm, black beans and corn are great together! I bet this would be awesome in a quesadilla. So many of my friends are great in the kitchen that I think it's high time for a recipe exchange! :)

    ReplyDelete