Saturday, March 5, 2011

Yes...ANOTHER Meatless Burger

For those of you who are tired of my maniac meatless burger posts, I'm truly sorry.

It can all be blamed on the Veggie Burger Every Which Way cookbook.

Yes, this fabulous little cookbook has turned me into a veggie burger-obsessed mad woman. I crumble them on salads. I sandwich them between homemade buns. Occasionally I dream about them.

Friends, I almost ate a veggie burger for breakfast last week (there are worse morning meals, no?)

Miraculously, tonight's recipe didn't even come from the aforementioned veggie burger cookbook. Instead, it came right from the pages of Bryant Terry's Vegan Soul Kitchen. Adam pulled these suckers together in under 30 minutes, and we sandwiched them between a batch of homemade cornbread buns.

The not-so-secret-secret ingredient? Peanuts, of course. Did you think I could post a veggie burger recipe that didn't contain a nut and/or nut butter? (on that note, I also apologize to my loyal readers with nut allergies.).

Tonight's lesson: If you are what you eat, I've definitely turned into a mashed bean patty covered in guacamole and pickles. I'm not ashamed.

Black Bean + Peanut Patties
(adapted from Vegan Soul Kitchen Bryant Terry)

Don't be fooled by the short ingredient list for this recipe--it has a unique blend of flavors, highlighted by cider vinegar and sea salt. We topped ours with fresh guac, but a spicy chipotle mayo (or nayo) would also work nicely.

Ingredients:
  • 1 can (15 oz.) black beans
  • 1/2 onion, finely diced
  • 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
  • 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup + 2 TBSP water
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped bell pepper
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray. Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until well-combined. Shape mixture into 4 - 6 patties. Place patties on the baking sheet and bake for 10 - 12 minutes, or until bottom has turned golden brown. Flip patties and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until bottom has turned golden brown (full disclosure: I did not use a timer when they were in the oven! I was roasting veggies at the same time, and thus never kept track of time, so these are merely time estimates).


12 comments:

  1. Love the use of peanuts in this recipe. Looks like a fun one to try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bean burgers! They are just so versatile!

    "Tonight's lesson: If you are what you eat, I've definitely turned into a mashed bean patty covered in guacamole and pickles. I'm not ashamed." I laughed out loud when I read that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We went out to eat tonight, and I almost ordered a veggie burger, but then I feared I was going to be served one of those frozen varieties. If only I could have ordered yours! Thank you for sharing your creativity with me! I hope you have a blessed Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm quite fond of tofu burgers that my husband makes.... it's the draining of the tofu that takes quite a bit of time... I had my meaty fill for the day.. that sounded a little.... risque...lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh I love your blog! I wouldn't be ashamed to be a mashed bean patty covered in guac and pickles either :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love getting these ideas as I've been wanting to make veggie burgers for a while - what's your favorite and/or which do you think a meat-eater would prefer? (helpful for me to decide which one to try with my hubby first)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so Not tired of the meatless burger ideas!

    This one looks great...and I think it's totally normal to eat it for breakfast to if that's what sounds good :)

    Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all the meatless burgers :) Especially with nuts in it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks so good! i love the addition of peanuts :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha, I'm going to start calling you the Veggieburglar! :) Don't ever stop though...I know where to go whenever the desire to make veggie patties strikes. I hadn't ever heard of one with peanuts in it, but I can only imagine it being delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OOH these sound great! I have a huge jar of black beans and a huge jar of peanuts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's no shame in having a burger for breakfast! ;) Especially if it looks as good as that one!

    ReplyDelete