Saturday, March 26, 2011

White Bean + Walnut Vegan Spread


Friends, you know how wild I am about sandwiches. A truly delicious vege-head sammie makes my heart sing songs of joy.

Tonight, my heart could have easily beat the cast of Glee in a sing-off.

Inspired by my Veganomicon cookbook, I created a vegan White Bean - Walnut spread as the featured centerpiece of our sandwiches. Adam roasted corn and tomatoes and--of course--we sauteed some bell peppers, onion, and garlic to go with.

Vegan Sammy Paradise, I tell you.

The sandwich spread could easily double as a veggie or cracker dip. It's loaded with all kinds of savory goodness. Make it, eat it, and thank me later.

With that, I'm off to play a mean game of Scrabble, with a little "Despicable Me" on in the background. Didn't you hear? That's what all the cool kids are doing on Saturday nights now :)

White Bean - Walnut Dip
(inspired by Veganomicon cookbook)

This quick spread makes for a fabulous sandwich condiment, or a dip for veggies and crackers.
Ingredients:
  • 1 can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
  • dash of olive oil
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
  • 1 tsp. dried thyme
  • 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
  • black pepper and salt, to taste
Directions:
1) Heat a dash of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3 - 4 minutes. Add garlic and thyme and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat.

2) Place walnuts in a food processor and process until they turn into course crumbs. Add beans and process until smooth and well combined. Add remaining ingredients to food processor and process until smooth and well-combined.

10 comments:

  1. This sounds like a scrumptious sandwich- love the white bean spread! (And I lovelovelove Scrabble too.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks awesome! I love sandwiches, and often find my vegan ones turn out just ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my. this is something I know I'd love. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how simple this recipe seems, but I bet it tastes wonderful!

    And I love scrabble -- I could play that for hours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great Kylie. I had a white bean dip the other day that was so delicious! I'm so glad to have a recipe for one now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you're a white bean fanatic! I have got to print out your recipes and start playing with these delish beans! =)

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is right up my alley!

    Scrabble and Despicable Me on Saturday night? That's Jeff and I in a nutshell!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the bread and the topping.. I really like the mealy taste that comes from rustic bread, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm, beans, nuts, and garlic! This sounds like a great alternative to hummus and I can only imagine how good it is on a sandwich. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Had this for a big dinner size vegetable sandwich and salad tonight, and it was very tasty. Naturally, you can follow the recipe exactly and it's great on its own. My onion was too strong so I had to do a little doctoring to bring it down. I like this so much I'm keeping this recipe to use on non vegan guests and at parties. This is reminiscent of a creme cheese spread, because the beans are so mild and with the walnuts chopped in, the consistency was excellent.

    ReplyDelete