Friends, you know how wild I am about sandwiches. A truly delicious vege-head sammie makes my heart sing songs of joy.
Tonight, my heart could have easily beat the cast of Glee in a sing-off.
Inspired by my Veganomicon cookbook, I created a vegan White Bean - Walnut spread as the featured centerpiece of our sandwiches. Adam roasted corn and tomatoes and--of course--we sauteed some bell peppers, onion, and garlic to go with.
Vegan Sammy Paradise, I tell you.
The sandwich spread could easily double as a veggie or cracker dip. It's loaded with all kinds of savory goodness. Make it, eat it, and thank me later.
With that, I'm off to play a mean game of Scrabble, with a little "Despicable Me" on in the background. Didn't you hear? That's what all the cool kids are doing on Saturday nights now :)
White Bean - Walnut Dip
(inspired by Veganomicon cookbook)
This quick spread makes for a fabulous sandwich condiment, or a dip for veggies and crackers.
- 1 can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- dash of olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- black pepper and salt, to taste
1) Heat a dash of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3 - 4 minutes. Add garlic and thyme and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
2) Place walnuts in a food processor and process until they turn into course crumbs. Add beans and process until smooth and well combined. Add remaining ingredients to food processor and process until smooth and well-combined.