Thursday, March 10, 2011

Throw-it-in-the-Pot Dinner

Have you had a crazy day lately? A crazy week perhaps?

Home late in the evenings? Brain completely drained, and your cooking creativity out the window?

It's weeks like this that I dream of collapsing on the couch with sweatpants, banana soft serve, and my Glee re-runs on Hulu. Unfortunately, by the time I made it to this point last night, I was fast asleep before the first Gwyneth Paltrow song had been sung.

*Sigh*

But wait! There's good to come of it all...

During these times, I'm uber-grateful for throw-it-all-in-the-soup-pot dinners. Adam cleaned our cabinets of quinoa, jarred tomatoes, veggie broth, and some frozen veggies. He seasoned the pot with curry and fresh ginger, and placed a steaming bowl in front of my bags-under-my-eyes face.

Boy, do I love that man.

Eat up friends. Maybe tonight I'll make it to the first Glee ballad.

Throw-it-in-the-Pot Curried Quinoa Dinner
(an Adam original)

Since this was a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of recipe, I urge you to get creative and use whatever YOU have in YOUR cabinets. Stick with the quinoa-curry base though...it's oh so very good.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 2 cups veggie broth
  • 1/2 cup raw cashews, toasted
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 inch ginger, minced
  • 1 tsp. curry powder
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • 1 TBSP mustard seed
  • 2 cans (15 oz. each) stewed tomatoes
  • 2 cups frozen edamame or peas
Directions:
1) In a small saucepan, combine quinoa and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce head to low and simmer until all the liquid has been absorbed.

2) Meanwhile, saute the onion, garlic, and ginger with a dash of olive oil--over medium heat--until softened.

3) In a large soup pot, combine the cooked quinoa, the onion mixture, and all of the remaining ingredients. Allow to simmer until the liquid has been cooked down and absorbed--about 20 minutes.


12 comments:

  1. Curry! Quinoa! Cashews! Edamame! What's not to love? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok how awesome is your man! My hubby would bring me a bowl of top ramen and expect a back massage ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live for throw it in the pot dinners! That's kinda what all my meals are :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always curious with cooking with quinoa. I like your recipe. Nice and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum! I'm making curried quinoa as I type, actually, with spinach and a variety of immune boosting mushrooms! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love throw it in the pot dinners! That looks awesome...I'm sold on anything with quinoa :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Guess who just bought some quinoa tonight?? Hope things get less crazed for you soon! I'm glad you've got Adam to throw delicious things like this together when you're exhausted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post title. This looks like a great recipe for a busy weeknight dinner. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now THIS is my kind of meal. Quick, easy, and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This will be a perfect Friday night-throw-it-in-a-pot and its vegetarian meal :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had me hooked at "Throw it in the pot." Quick and easy is all my life will handle right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice guy! Ari had dinner waiting when I got home from work last week and it was the most unexpected kindness.

    ReplyDelete