Ever since receiving Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World earlier this month, I've basically been a cup o' cake maniac.
Our neighbors look hungry for cupcakes, don't they?
Adam's lab-mates really like lemon desserts. Maybe I should make them some cupcakes?
We don't celebrate trash day enough. Bring on the cupcakes!
And finally, the best and most ultimate excuse to bake these pint-sized desserts: a baby shower.
Baby showers are filled with pastel colors, lots of booties, and plenty of cheesy games. It's high time we add cupcakes into the mix. And since I'm planning a March baby shower for my pal Liz, I made an executive decision to feature a cupcake buffet at this baby-lovin' event.
This means I'll have to do some dreaded prep-work: you know, recipe-testing, baking, and tasting lots of cupcakes. It's such a hard life, isn't it?
I used the basics from my new cupcake bible to create a Pumpkin-Pecan Cupcake with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting this weekend. Results were overwhelmingly positive, including a unanimous "yes" to be included in the March cupcake buffet.
So let's get cup-caking my friends. Because if "cup-caking" wasn't a verb before, it most certainly is now.
Pumpkin-Pecan Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
(inspired by the lovely ladies of Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World)
These cupcakes are so moist and tender, and cinnamon cream cheese frosting is simply essential. This miniature dessert would make the perfect addition to your fall party spread...or a March baby shower :)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 TBSP nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup milk (I used skim)
- 1 - 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 - 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- Extra pecan halves for garnish
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup cream cheese (I used 1/3 reduced fat cream cheese)
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 - 2 TBSP milk, if needed
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners.
2) In a large bowl, stir together the pumpkin, oil, yogurt sugar, milk, and vanilla. Stir in the dry ingredients with a spoon until well-combined. Fold in chopped pecans.
3) Fill cupcake liners two thirds full and bake for 22 - 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack completely before frosting.
4) To prepare frosting: Beat the butter cream cheese together. Add the vanilla and cinnamon. Beat in the confectioner's sugar in 1/2 cup increments. Add milk and/or more sugar to reach desired consistency. Frost cupcakes, and top each with a pecan half.