Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Nutella Chocolate Chip Blondies


Since yesterday's post highlighted a dinner recipe that we made twice in one week, I figured I should follow it up with a dessert recipe I made twice in one week.

Nutella Chocolate Chip Blondies.

Oh yes I did.

When I saw these Nutella-laden treats on Lindsey's blog last week, my destiny was set. I had a lonely jar of unopened Nutella sitting in my kitchen, just begging to be used. As an added bonus, this recipe is a super-easy, one-bowl creation.

And as if there wasn't enough buttery, chocolate-hazelnut goodness in these little bars, I added a handful of chocolate chips for good measure.

The first batch went to one of Adam's lab-mates to celebrate her 27th birthday (27 is a good year, right? I'm only four weeks in myself, but I'm already loving it). Their rave reviews inspired me to bake a second batch for my kids at work. I've learned the cookies are a wonderful motivator and mood-enhancer for high school students.

If you, too, are rocking the lonely, unopened jar of Nutella situation right now, tonight's recipe just may be the solution to your woes.

Nutella Swirl Blondies
(recipe from Lindsey at Gingerbread Bagels)

The original recipe doesn't have chocolate chips, but I'm all about adding unnecessary chocolate to already delicious recipes. I'm planning on experimenting with the addition of peanut butter to this recipe as well...

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
  • 1/8 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup butter, melted
  • 1 TBSP vanilla
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup Nutella (approximately)
Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees and coat an 8 x 8 inch baking pan with cooking spray.

2) Use an electric mixer to combine the brown sugar, butter, and vanilla--beat until well-combined. Beat in egg. Mix in dry ingredients until thoroughly combined. Stir in chocolate chips.

3) Spread batter evenly in prepared baking dish. Place small spoonfuls of Nutella (about 1 tsp. drops) on top of the batter. Use a knife to cut through the batter in different directions, producing a swirly pattern with the Nutella. Bake for 20 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned.

17 comments:

  1. I have an unopened Nutella as well and I can hear that the Nutella is saying "Bake this. Bake this." to me. I like this recipe. Quick and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to let you know...there is a World Nutella Day on February 5th.
    I suggest we meet back here next year and compare Nutella notes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They came out so cute! I just want to top em with ice cream! <3

    did you make pancakes today for national pancake day?

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am ashamed to admit that with all the Nutella craze out there I have yet to try it! But this recipe is very tempting. I just might pick up a container and give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm totally saving this for a future occasion, all of my favorite things are combined!

    ReplyDelete
  6. these look so good, kylie! might have to buy nutella just for the occasion :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm all about adding chocolate to recipes as much as possible :) And Nutella?! Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Guess who has a mostly full (how is this possible?) container of Nutella? And yes, I'm always in favor of adding more chocolate. :) Such awesome looking blondies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't but Nutella because it doesn't last long in our house :) I saw these on Lindsey's blog and thought they looked amazing -- and I love the addition of choc chips!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, I'm going to make these tonite for me & hubby. I've lately been having a nighttime snack of Nutella spread on graham crackers. Thank you so much! I agree peanut butter would be a tasty addition. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I couldn't wait to see your post on the Nutella Blondies! Yours look sooo good and I just adore the addition of chocolate chips. I'm definitely trying that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those blondes look heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I could buy all purpose flour here..it's much easier... I have to mix hard with the soft... .. I wonder if all purpose is a combination of the two?

    Did you know a blondie was one of my fav desserts.. I think it was Ruby Tuesday's? This looks divine = )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh these look amazing! Would love to make this recipe soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oo I love the sounds of these! You can never go wrong with both blondies and Nutella!

    ReplyDelete