Monday, March 14, 2011

Vegan Cleanse Time, Baby!

After several weeks of cupcake mania in my kitchen, the muffin tins are finally empty. The cupcake liners are all gone. And there's not an ounce of frosting left in sight.

Perhaps the loudest indicator of this cupcake-madness conclusion is my stomach: She's begging me for a vegan cleanse.

Ask and you shall receive, my dear Tummy.

So, after polishing off the last, lonely chocolate cupcake with peanut butter frosting last night, I began working on this week's cake-less meal plan. That's right, folks: no frosting, no butter, and much less chocolate. I mean, it is Lent after all.

Tonight's feature: Asian Slaw with Almonds and Oranges. It all started with a bowlful of this:
Seriously. Yum.

I hope you enjoy this dish of vegan-licious-ness as much as I did.

As a side note, I settled on the following three flavors for the baby shower cupcakes: Chocolate Yogurt Cupcakes with Peanut Butter frosting, Classic Birthday Cupcakes, and Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes. We packaged 'em up to match the Dr. Seuss-themed baby-fest, and placed one cup o' cake at each guests' place setting. I can't lie: It was pretty adorable.

Alright, enough cake talk. Let's get down to those vegan goods, shall we?

Asian Slaw with Oranges and Almonds
(adapted from a Cooking Light Magazine recipe)

The soy sauce makes for a delicious vinaigrette of sorts for this crunchy, veggie-loaded slaw. If you don't have fresh oranges on hand, go ahead and sub in mandarin slices.

Salad Ingredients:
  • 1 bag of shredded cabbage
  • 2 cups broccoli florets
  • 1 cup shredded carrot
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped, toasted walnuts
  • 1/3 cup toasted sunflower seeds
  • 2 oranges, diced
Dressing Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
  • 3 TBSP apple cider vinegar
  • 1 TBSP honey
  • 1 TBSP lime juice
  • 1 - 2 TBSP olive oil
  • 1 tsp. minced garlic
  • pinch of fresh ginger
  • fresh salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
Combine salad ingredients in a large bowl and stir until thoroughly combined. Whisk together dressing ingredients and pour over salad. Stir to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

23 comments:

  1. Kylie this looks delicious! I love orange slices in salads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. go kylie go kylie go! <3 hahaha! So no photos of cupcakes that make me drool for awhile? I'll still drool though -- just over veggies!!! =) hehe

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I'm on a total orange and almond kick -- I know I'd enjoy this salad!

    I love the term 'cupcaking'! I'm going to have to use that w/ one of my students -- she's practicing the art of cupcake decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds amazing! I know what you mean about our tummys asking for a break! I often follow up a heavy food day with a sugar free day. It's perfect to get me right back on track :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to try this out! I love asian inspired salads!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS isn't it a good feeling to get back on track? Cupcakes are awesome but salads are better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I love anything with oranges!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I WANT the asian slaw with almonds and oranges. That combo sounds awesome.

    I miss the cupcakes already :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Kylie for your message = ) I really appreciate it so much. I was needing comfort food and there weren't any take out for French so I had the Manhattan burger... so I might need a cleanse this week for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow that looks SO good!!! Even though I'm not "officially" a vegan any more, I still eat mostly vegan. I don't buy milk or cheese or anything, so I like vegan recipes best! This one looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful and colorful salad! The dressing sounds amazing, I'll have to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great recipe the colors are gorgeous on the salad

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally agree that this is a great cleansing dish.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I must admit, I love cupcake mania :) I'm sure you're over it though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm pretty sure the beautiful colors in this salad more than make up for the fact that it isn't covered in frosting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always feel the need to take it easy after consuming too much frosting too :) This looks like a great way to eat clean!

    ReplyDelete
  17. this looks amazing! thank you for sharing this lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kylie I need to do a cleanse too! I have been doing so much baking (and eating) lately... My body is not very happy about it. This looks like a delicious salad, and i love all that fresh produce!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Two nights in a row of fried things and I feel like I need a vegan cleanse, too! I've never been big on cole slaw (I think it's the raw cabbage), but should really give it another chance, especially with something with less traditional ingredients like this. A Dr. Seuss theme shower sounds adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My body is screeeaming for a cleanse too!
    Definitely bookmarking this salad - it looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. 1. I'm trying to figure out how to sneak an asian slaw-arrangement onto Marcus's plate. I have SO been craving this combo of things.

    2. After we went cake-tasting this weekend, I definitely felt like I needed a veg-cleanse for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful and colorful salad!
    I need a cleanse time asap. Have been baking so much lately, needless to say eating what i baked.
    the cupcakes choice sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete