Monday, February 28, 2011

This Dinner was THAT Good

You know a dinner is good when you repeat the entire meal within 7 days.

Last weekend we ran across one such rare recipe--it was so darn delicious, we decided to make it again this week.

So what's the famous dish with that Hungry Spoon one-week-repeat power?

Thai Curry Carrot Burgers. These little gems are loaded with carrot, fresh ginger, curry powder, and even some peanut butter and cinnamon. While I can claim craftsmanship of the burgers, Adam deserves all the credit for the guacamole we topped them with and, even better, the homemade corn bread buns we sandwiched them between.

This is another one of those vegetarian recipes that is perfect try on your carnivorous friends. It so full of hearty, stick-to-your-ribs goodness, your meat-eating buddies won't even know their dinner never had eyes or internal organs (Okay, I took it too far with that one. Sometimes I just get carried away, don't I?).

Bottom line: Make these burgers. They've got carrots. They've got peanut butter. And, as always, they've got plenty of love baked right in.

Thai Curry Carrot Burgers

The condiment of choice for these curried burgers is definitely a garlic-heavy guacamole. Sweet pickles make a great addition, too.

Ingredients:
  • a dash of olive oil
  • 1 bunch of green onions finely sliced
  • 5 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 - 1/2 TBSP freshly grated ginger
  • 4 cups grated carrot
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. ground coriander
  • 1 tsp. curry powder
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 2 egg whites
  • 2 TBSP natural peanut butter
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1/2 cup Panko (bread crumbs)
  • Guacamole (for serving)
Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Heat a dash of olive oil (about 1 TBSP) in large pan. Add the scallions and cook for a couple minutes until softened. Add the garlic, ginger, carrots, salt, coriander, curry powder, and cinnamon. Cook for 6 - 8 minutes until the carrots are just softened.

2) In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg whites, peanut butter, and lemon juice. Stir in the carrot mixture, cilantro, and Panko (bread crumbs). Allow to sit for about 5 - 10 minutes so the bread crumbs can absorb some of the liquid. Shape into 4 - 5 patties.

3) In a large skillet, heat another dash of olive oil. Cook patties until browned on one side (about 4 - 6 minutes). Flip and cook until the other side is nicely browned. Place the patties on a baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes, until the burgers are cooked through. Serve with guacamole

12 comments:

  1. I'm totally scared to put PB in my food. are you sure. if you tell me to I will..... haha!

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound awesome! I am game for peanut butter anywhere, but tend to be more on the fence with vegetarian recipes. Your rave review, however, has me thinking this is a perfect recipe to convert me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I find a good recipe, I make it over and over again :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good veggie burger, and I've never had one with peanut butter. That's two good reasons to try this one! It sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love making burger Patties, You should try my Zucchini patties I have the recipe posted on my blog, check it out if your interested! that recipe looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm the vegie person but the rest of my family is meat lover. It will be nice if I can make this burger just for myself. It's good to be selfish sometimes. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm on a curry powder love kick right now, this burger looks like one I'd enjoy in the most wonderful way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Peanut butter has its place in every meal in my opinion. As always, these look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo, Kylie, these look great. Not only because they look delicious, but because my husband doesn't really like carrots and I think this is a great way for him to eat those nutritious vegetabels!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey girl I just found your blog through thrive-style.com and I love your attitude on food and life. And these burgers look so delicious, I'm thinking about bumping these up on my to-make list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These sound amazing!! I hadn't ever heard of a carrot-based veggie burger, but what a great idea! I might need to try them soon because I can't imagine not loving them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahhh I have this cookbook but haven't tried these burgers yet! DEF have to now!!

    ReplyDelete