Thursday, October 7, 2010

Oatmeal turned Pancake

Nothing beats breakfast for dinner.

That's right. It's been a long day. You're a little on the tired side when you get home from work. You know you should cook the well-balanced, vege-heavy menu that you planned.

But you can't shake that image of Blueberry-Banana Pancakes dancing through your head. The pancakes are calling you. They're singing that awesome 1980's hit "Don't You Want Me?" The Carrot Cake Pancakes are even singing back-up.

Soon, the Oatmeal is in on the peer pressure. "Come on, Kylie. You know you want to. It's breakfast for dinner. Everybody's doing it."

You're weak. You can't resist. You give in.

Breakfast-for-dinner victory.

This little battle took place yesterday during the night on my own. Ultimately, I couldn't decide between pancakes or a bowl o' oats, so I just combined them. I literally made a loaded oatmeal mix and cooked it like a pancake. Not the most photogenic meal. But sensationally satisfying.

I don't regret giving into the peer pressure. I celebrate my weakness for breakfast-for-dinner :)

Anyone else have a love for breakfast-at-dinner?

Oatmeal-Turned-Pancakes
(A Hungry Spoon original. It's too weird not to be)

I apologize for not measuring amounts on this one. I just mixed in enough wet ingredients until I reached a thick pancake consistency. Use any fruit combo that suits your fancy. They're not pretty to flip. But boy do they taste good :)

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup quick oats
  • Ground flaxseed (at least 1 TBSP, maybe more)
  • 1 very ripe banana, mashed
  • Crushed blueberries
  • Chopped strawberries
  • Chopped walnuts
  • Skim milk
  • Vanilla
  • Cinnamon
  • Blueberry sauce for topping
Directions:

Combine all ingredients until desired consistency (pancake-consistency) is reached. Heat a skillet over low-medium heat and coat evenly with cooking spray (I added a little Smart Balance to the pan as well). Pour two pancakes using your batter. Cook until lightly browned on the bottom (about 2 minutes), flip and cook until lightly browned on the other side.

Top with blueberry sauce :)

12 comments:

  1. Breakfast-for-dinner usually means cereal for me, but I ought to give p-cakes a go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love breakfast for dinner - it's so cozy! Egg bakes are usually an easy action, otherwise pancakes and french toast all the way - put some decadent (and unhealthy!) toppings on them and let it roll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all about breakfast for dinner. I love pancakes and a scrambled egg...plus a tall glass of OJ to wash it all down. These look like especially delicious AND nutritious pancakes. A great alternative to typical dinner meals. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. breakfast for dinner is absolutely necessary at least once a week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I didn't know oatmeal could do this! Such a great idea. :)

    I love breakfast for dinner, and pretty much whenever I make eggs, it's for dinner. My favorite thing is to make breakfast tacos: scramble some eggs, then put them in tortillas and top with cheese and whatever else floats your boat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love breakfast for dinner: eggs/toast, egg bake, a big bowl of oatmeal, pancakes/eggs, french toast bake, you name it! We have this sort of meal at least twice per week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Breakfast for dinner is like the best! I love Brinner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love this idea! i'd definitely eat this for dinner.
    i had oatmeal last night, in fact, and felt pretty lame having the SAME EXACT thing all over again this morning... a pancake format would do well to switch it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey lady, I'm adding you to my blogroll :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love breakfast for dinner! had it at our wedding :) looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love pancakes but I haven't tried oats in it yet. I've seen it on blogs all the time though, so it must be good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh that looks delicious! I love "oat cakes"!

    ReplyDelete