Thursday, October 14, 2010

Bringin' Back "Loaf"


Many thanks for all of the get well wishes you've sent my way! In my NyQuil-induced stupor, it has definitely brought a smile to face :)


Tonight we'll tackle a dish with the most un-flattering name, but a most delightful taste: Vegan Veggie Loaf. I know what you're thinking: tacking the word "loaf" onto a main course dish doesn't exactly conjure up images of a culinary masterpiece.


You'll need to move past the word "loaf" though, because this recipe really rocks. It's kind of like meeting a supermodel named Gertrude. Or Bertha. Don't judge a book by its cover, friends.


I first ran across the inspiration for this recipe at Nicci's blog, Nifty Eats. Her uber-unique and healthy recipe is reminscient of old-fashioned meatloaf...modernized and minus the meat of course. I added sauteed carrots and bell pepper to up the veggie factor, but you could certainly get creative with whatever mix-ins suit your fancy (if you're not committed to a vegan meal, I imagine shredded sharp cheddar would be an outstanding addition). This is also a great recipe if you're looking for a way to use up leftover cooked rice.

I'm hoping tonight will be the last night for NyQuil--I'm heading out on a road trip to Cleveland for the weekend, and my friend Katie has planned some delicious "Foodie" stops for us!


What's your favorite city/town to visit for fun Foodie destinations?


Vegan Veggie Loaf

(adapted from the Vegetarian Loaf recipe from Nicci's Nifty Eats)

As usual, get creative with your mix-ins to this highly-adaptable "loaf." Grated cheddar with go quite well if you're not tied to a vegan meal.

Ingredients:
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 carrot, shredded
  • 1/2 of a bell pepper, finely diced
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • a drizzle of olive oil
  • 1 cup cooked brown rice
  • 1 cup oats
  • 1/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs (or your own homemade bread crumbs)
  • 3 TBSP ketchup
  • 3 TBSP barbeque sauce
  • 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
  • salt to taste
  • garlic powder to taste
  • a sprinkling of brown sugar
  • Optional: shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray cooking spray in a loaf pan.


2) Heat a little olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion, peas, carrot, and bell pepper. Saute until just barely softened (about 4 minutes). Remove from heat.


3) Combine all ingredients in a large bowl (including cheese, if you're using it)--mix it with your hands if you want! Put mixture into loaf pan, cover with foil, and bake for about 30 minutes. Allow to cool slightly/set up for 5 minutes before cutting (it doesn't come out in beautiful slices per se--a little on the crumbly side, but it still tastes as delicious as ever). Serve with salad or roasted veggies on the side.





12 comments:

  1. i never been to cleveland! i want to visit someday to check it out!

    i have to say LA. LA has a lot of fantastic restaurants!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made a brown-rice-and-oats loaf! Looks good. I bet it'd be yummy to replace the rice with lentils, too!

    Have fun on your trip :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good!! ANd so healthy! I actually really love meatloaf, but this could def be a good replacement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! Now I just need a big plate of mashed potatoes and green beans...I'm almost back to my childhood! This looks so much better than the "meatloaf" my mom use to serve us (no offense mom). I love all the veggies, especially the peas! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. San Francisco, NYC, and apparently Portland is awesome too. I've just never visited though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i've never had a veggie loaf before, this one is sure making me hungry. I love all the ingredients in here so i know it's going to be awesome. thanks for sharing this, have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks really good!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. glad you're feeling better... this looks good. i love all the veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. CLEVELAND! I lived there for four years and miss it! It's actually one of my favorite foodie cities, too! Fav spots: Tommy's, Mint Cafe (both are in Coventry, which is where I lived), No. 1 Pho, Melt, East Coast Custard, Aladdin's (best hummus EVER), Krazy Mac's, Koko Bakery...I could go on and on! I'm so jealous and excited for you. :) Have fun - Cleveland really does rock!

    That loaf does actually sound really delicious, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh I've never thought of making anything like this - looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, this looks delicious! I really have to make a loaf soon... I was never a fan of meatloaf when I ate meat, but this sounds so delicious!

    ReplyDelete