Monday, October 11, 2010

Bean Bakin'

Actually, we won't be baking beans at all. We're doing the faster, easier, and super-delicious shortcut version of baked beans: it's all about the stovetop, friends.

The dish: Barbeque Vegetarian Stovetop Beans

We all know baked beans as a fixture in the traditional summer cookout menu. A cookout without baked beans would be as silly as Thanksgiving without pie. However, as president of the baked bean fan club (well, if one existed I would be), I'm all about enjoying baked beans year 'round.

This tasty side dish is requirement in our house anytime we make vegetarian sandwiches for dinner. I'm notorious for dipping my sandwiches in the beans before each bite. Sandwich night just wouldn't be complete without them. Thus, BBQ beans were on the menu as the perfect accompaniment to our Vegetarian Cheese "Steak" Sandwiches on Saturday night.

As with many Hungry Spoon recipes, the ingredient amounts listed below are quite flexible. If you prefer sweeter beans, add more brown sugar (or try molasses or maple syrup). If you prefer a sharper bite, add more vinegar or mustard.

Just because summer picnics are a distant memory, doesn't mean our summer cuisine must be. Celebrate the awesome-ness of BBQ baked beans...with a fork n' knife sandwich on the side.

Vegetarian Barbeque Stovetop Beans
(Inspired by a recipe found in Andrea Chesman's 366 Delicious Ways to Cook Rice, Beans, and Grains)

These beans are so flavorful, no one will even notice it's a vegetarian, bacon-less version.

Ingredients:
  • One 15 oz. can of kidney beans
  • One 15 oz. can butter beans
  • One 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 3 large cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 - 3 TBSP barbeque sauce
  • 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
  • 1 - 2 TBSP brown sugar
  • 2 tsp. dijon mustard

Directions:


Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add onion and saute until softened, 4 -5 minutes. Add garlic and saute for an additional minute. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Allow beans to simmer until flavors are thoroughly blended (10 - 15 minutes).

*Note: I've also made these beans in the crock pot. Adjust the amount of liquid (from tomatoes) as needed, and cook 3 -4 hours on low.




11 comments:

  1. Mmmmm!! Gotta love those beans! I love that there is dijon mustard in there, dijon mustard makes ANYTHING taste great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that this is such a quick version of baked beans. By the time I decide I want to make them, it's usually way too late to do it. Thanks for sharing...the recipe sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking for a good baked bean recipe for a while now, I will most definitely be giving this one a try! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just telling Ryan how much I have been craving baked beans...you don't disappoint! There is nothing better than a veggie sandwich with a bowl of sweet and spicy beans on the side. Thank you for sharing. This looks far easier than the last recipe I tried!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love baked beans too -- I could have them every day! I've never made them myself though.

    I would definitely add a ton of brown sugar, I already know it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great recipe. I love baked beans and this recipe is something I definitely want to try out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE beans. :) They're so good for you! However, I haven't had baked beans since going vegan (because someone decided it was a good idea to add bacon into like, every single can of baked beans!!) So I'm definitely going to have to try this recipe and enjoy some deliciously vegetarian baked beans. WOOHOO! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. To Liz above - Bush's make vegetarian baked beans, but I can tell that this recipe would be WAY better!

    Kylie, I'm definitely making these for the next family get-together! My sister is also vegetarian, but I think everyone would love these. :)

    ReplyDelete