Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Curried Bulgur with Roasted Veggies


It's no secret that I'm a bit of a bulgur fanatic. After discovering this gem of a grain last year, I've been singing its praises ever since. Quick to prepare, perfect for salads or main dishes, and it's flavor can vary vastly depending on the liquid you soak it in.


Who needs couscous when you've got bodacious bulgur (I'm only mildly embarrassed that I just used the word "bodacious.")


Tonight's dinner recipe screams simplicity (not an angry scream; a friendly, cooking-happy scream). Better yet, it highlights one of my favorite flavor combos: curry, fruit, and toasted nuts. You could boost the protein-punch in this one by adding a can of rinsed, drained chickpeas. Additionally, I recommend adding a chopped red bell pepper--unfortunately I didn't have one on hand tonight.

Alongside our Curried Bulgur with Almonds and Apricots, we served roasted cauliflower. From beginning to end, dinner was ready in about 40 minutes.

If you're looking for more creative grain salad ideas, you might want to check out my Ode to Grains. (I know, I can't believe I wrote an Ode to Grains either).

Finally, what are your favorite cookbooks right now? I would love to hear what cookbooks and cooking magazines you're running to the most lately. We've definitely been heavy on the Moosewood volumunes and my old Cooking Light recipes, but I'm seeking some creative inspiration!

Curried Bulgur with Almonds and Apricots

This curried grain dish serves perfectly with roasted cauliflower. I included a little of both in each bite I took :)
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups broth (chicken or veggie)
  • 1 cut uncooked bulgur
  • 1/2 tsp. curry powder (or more if you're a curry fanatic)
  • Dash of cinnamon (maybe around 1/4 tsp.?)
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • a little olive oil
  • 1 cup dried apricots, chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped almonds, toasted
Directions:

1) In a small saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in bulgur, curry, and cinnamon. Cover and allow to sit until broth is absorbed (20 - 30 minutes).

2) In a small skillet, heat a little olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened and lightly browned, 6 - 7 minutes.

3) Add onion, apricots, and almonds to bulgur; stir until combined (You can also add chopped red bell pepper and chickpeas here, if desired.). Serve with roasted cauliflower (recipe below).

Parmesan-Roasted Cauliflower
(adapted from a recipe in The Biggest Loser Cookbook)

You haven't tasted cauliflower until you've tried this recipe. When I got this cookbook a few years ago, I made this recipe every week for quite some time!

Ingredients:
  • Florets from one head of cauliflower
  • a little drizzle of olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. (or more!) of garlic powder
  • salt to taste
  • sprinkling of dried parsley
  • freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.

2) In a large bowl, drizzle just a bit of olive oil over the cauliflower florets (about 1 tablespoon?). Stir pepper, garlic powder, salt, and dried parsley in. Sprinkle some freshly grated Parmesan in and combine well.

3) Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, or until lightly browned (stirring once halfway through the cook-time).


9 comments:

  1. this is a perfect simple dish! i have parmesan cheese and i just need cauliflower!

    have you thought about writing for a food magazine?! i think you'd be awesome for it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my...I love curry and I love cauliflower, so you have me sold. I also think bulgur is a great grain. I think it tastes so much heartier than grains like couscous or even rice. Thank you for sharing such delicious recipes and photographs. You never fail to make me drool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, these both sound like awesome recipes! I've never ventured into the bodacious world of bulgur ;), but this sounds like a great introduction. And what a great way to prepare cauliflower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this reminds me I haven't used bulgur in way too long - looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never tried bulgur. Its one of those things I always tell myself to buy and then totally forget about lol. I LOVE that cauliflower dish though! Anything with cheese and garlic is alright in my book ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't be embarrassed for saying bodacious! I'm sure we've all said more silly things!

    I love roasted cauliflower -- raw tasted horrible to me (unless it is drenched in ranch dressing) but roasted tastes just right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love the touch of curry in here. this is seriously making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never tried bulger. These look delicious! Def trying them out! Thanks for the recipe girl! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Come on, "bodacious" is not said ENOUGH! :P And cooking-happy screams are the best, haha.

    I just made something similar on Sunday; it was curried brown rice with chopped dried apricots and walnuts. The recipe was from Robin Robertson's Vegan on the Cheap, which is my current cookbook fixation!

    ReplyDelete