Thursday, October 28, 2010

Lasagna Lovin' Fool


I absolutely love lasagna.

While the traditional meatless-marinara version is delightful in its own way, tonight I'll introduce you to a company-worthy lasagna that will blow your mind.

That's right: Mind-blowing. Well, let's be honest-- I owed it to you after two nights in a row of celery.


With feta cheese, fresh rosemary, and artichoke hearts, this recipe takes the traditional comfort-food pasta bake, and cranks it up a notch. Or ten notches.

My older sister first made this recipe a few years ago when I was in graduate school. Being the thoughtful sister she is (or, simply pitying my stressed-out, impoverished student lifestyle at the time), she would cook dinner for me on Wednesday evenings. Since the Wednesday night she created this garlicky work of art, I've never found a lasagna recipe that comes close to being this tasty.

This recipe is ideal for a special occasion--birthday, anniversary, good hair day, etc. Tonight's cause for celebration? My friend Alli, who is well on her way to becoming a Physical Therapist Extraordinaire, just completed two big exams and is need of some R & L (rest and lasagna).

I was more than happy to help :)

Suggestion: I actually prepared the lasagna last night (you know, around 9pm when every sane person starts a lasagna), covered and refrigerated it, and then popped it in the oven when I got home from work today. Paired with garlic bread and a side salad, it's easy-peasy gourmet tonight.

What's your favorite way to enjoy pasta?

Spinach Artichoke Lasagna
(recipe from my cooking-genius sister Kendra, who credits AllRecipes.com)

Finally! A flavor-packed vegetarian lasagna that isn't loaded with cream and alfredo sauce. It's definitely a crowd-pleaser for vege-heads and carnivores alike.

Ingredients:
  • 9 uncooked whole wheat lasagna noodles
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 4 large cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 can (14 oz.) of veggie or chicken broth
  • 1 TBSP fresh rosemary (or 1 tsp. dry)
  • 1 jar (14 oz.) of artichoke hearts in water, drained and chopped
  • 1 (10 0z.) package of frozen spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
  • 1 28 oz. jar marinara sauce (I used a sauteed onion and garlic variety)
  • 3 cups shredded mozzarella or Italian cheese blend (I didn't measure, I just sprinkled a little on each layer)
  • 1 (4 oz.) package of garlic and herb feta cheese
Directions:

1) Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Coat a 13 x 9 pan with cooking spray.

2) Meanwhile, heat a little olive oil over medium-high heat in a sauce pan. Add onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes, until onion is just tender. Stir in broth and rosemary and bring to a boil. Add spinach and artichoke hearts; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir in marinara sauce.

3) Spread 1/4 of artichoke mixture in the bottom of the prepared pan. Top with 3 cooked noodles. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup cheese (I just sprinkled a thin layer on). Repeat layers 2 more times, ending with artichoke mixture and cheese. Sprinkle crumbled feta on top.

4) Cover lasagna and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 more minutes until bubbly. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.

5) Invite Garfield the Cat over for dinner. He's never had lasagna this good.

18 comments:

  1. Artichoke hearts must be AWESOME in lasagna! Super yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I'd never have thought to add artichokes to lasagna, but I love the combination of spinach + artichoke so why not? Very creative, Kylie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am so in the mood to eat this!! I really want to eat this right now. PS i just had 3 mini pumpkin muffins that i just made. they're absolutely amazingly so good! now i want a savory dish, your dish is it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite pasta is gnocchi. Lasagna is a close second! How can you say no to layers of carbs and cheese? I kind of like the play of "spinach artichoke dip" ingredients and lasagna here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh I love lasagne too, hmmm artichoke hearts, what an interesting addition, but very delicious I might add :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've actually never made lasagna! But this makes me think I should change that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never made lasagna -- I'm too nervous to try it! But I like the idea of making it the day before and throwing it in the fridge -- then I wouldn't feel so much pressure to rush through it after work.

    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lasagna looks amazing! Love the Garfield reference!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh, sign me up! This looks super delicious, and way more interesting than just cheese lasagna. That was sweet of your sister to cook for you on Wednesdays. :) Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so good! I've never made lasagna. I'm intimidated by it for some reason, but you are inspiring me to give it a try. It's definitely a comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the reference to Garfield. My brother used to love Garfield growing up, and he was always a fan of lasagna. I often wondered if he claimed to like lasagna just because Garfield did?

    ReplyDelete
  12. dang girl, that looks amazing! haha I bet the artichokes would add some awesome flavor. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great twist on lasagna. This could surprise my family and keep them on their toes.

    Plan B

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw, such a good friend! There is nothing more comforting than lasagna and garlic bread. Looks awesome (as always!).

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that this lasagna can be made in advance...and I love that your sweet sister used to make it for you during graduate school. What a blessing! Thank you for sharing, and I'm sorry if I've been a bit sparse here lately...we are going through such a trial. Thank you for all your kind words on my own blog. They mean a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love any kind of pasta! your lasagna looks fabulous. not sure how my husband would feel about the artichokes though... :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Like most of the comments, who woulda thunk artichoke hearts?! Genius.
    My lasagna involves a lot more meat and cheese, but this looks tasty and a lot lighter (which I need).

    My terrible pizza from last week and this awesome recipe have inspired me to abandon ricotta cheese for the moment. I have yet to find a red-sauce recipe I enjoy it in. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great idea adding the artichokes to lasagna. My man is a bit of a lasagna-phobe, but he loves artichokes so, I think this could be a step in the right direction.

    Usually I just use my pasta dishes as a giant dump for whatever happens to be in the fridge at the time. Ususally it is not a disappointing experience.

    ReplyDelete