Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Brownies and...NyQuil

Apparently it's cold season. And I'm not talking temperature.

My discovery of "cold season is upon us" arrived this morning when I woke up and realized I lacked the capacity to breathe through my nose. Awesome.

Given that my head feels like a lead balloon, I had to break my standing date with the kitchen tonight in favor of a much more alluring subject: the couch. The couch and I invited the latest issue of Newsweek and Hulu's re-runs of "Glee" to join us. It's been a double date of sorts.

But enough rambling--you didn't stop by to read my musings on the merits of NyQuil versus Therflu as a remedy for cold. You stopped by for more of what we all love: chocolate + peanut butter.

More specifically, Peanut Butter Fudge Brownies from the vegetarian goddess herself, Mollie Katzen. These rich cocoa brownies boast a full cup of all-natural peanut butter mixed right in. Plus dark chocolate chips for good measure (and yes, it has to be dark). The batter is so thick you'll think you made cookie dough, but it's no mistake! That thick n' doughy batter produces a dense, moist brownie with a subtle hint of peanut butter.

I'm thinking peanut butter frosting might be a necessity. Next time, friends. Definitely next time.

Fortunately, I baked these puppies a couple nights ago, prior to my "cold-season-is-upon-me" realization.

Forget chicken noodle soup. Vegetarians just need chocolate PB brownies to solve head congestion. And maybe a good dose of Nyquil.

Peanut Butter Fudge Brownies
(From Molly Katzen's Vegetable Heaven)

A full cup of natural peanut butter gives these guys a flavor burst unlike any chocolate + PB brownie you've tasted. The recipe calls for chocolate chips, but if you've got Reese's Cups sitting around (it is Halloween season...) I strongly urge you to chop them up and throw them into the batter.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup natural peanut butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 cups dark chocolate chips (or chopped Reese cups)
  • Optional: peanut butter frosting (try Monet's recipe; I haven't yet, but I have no doubt that it rocks)
Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9 x 13 inch pan with cooking spray.

2) With an electric mixer, cream together the butter, peanut butter, and sugars in a large bowl, on high speed. Reduce the speed to medium and add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla. Add the flour and cocoa powder, and mix until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.

3) Spread batter into prepared pan and bake for 15 - 20 minutes, or until the top feels firm and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

4) If you've got the time, whip up some peanut butter frosting, and smooth the nut buttery goodness all over the top (after the brownies have cooled, of course).


18 comments:

  1. The need for Nyquil is certainly no fun! For a sec I thought you were going to add it to the brownie recipe;)

    So sorry about the cold - hope you feel better very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. everyone seems to be getting sick. its that time of season!!

    i miss you peanut butter ): its weird bc i had nut butter 2 months ago and i had a lot of nut butter sammies early this year too. it was my fave thing to eat. i'd have it for breakfast and lunch! sniff...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feel better fast!!! The flavor combination of chocolate and peanut butter cannot be matched-it's awesome. Your brownies would be gone in a flash at our house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feeling well or feeling sick, the chocolate and peanut butter combo is a MUST! These look wonderful!

    Hope you feel better soon, Kylie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Choc-PB brownies solve evvverything ;P
    ::Drool::
    Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no! Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. :( Hope the healing powers of peanut butter and chocolate kick in fast! Those brownies are awesome, I'm sure. They'd be a reverse of Joy's with PB frosting!

    My friend and I made sesame cookies (they use tahini!) recently, which I think are in that book. Highly recommended!

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTW: The Captcha (or whatever it's called) that your blog just asked me to spell to post that last comment was "gracklip." Just thought you should know-I laughed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh no! you need some kiwi fruit, STAT (has more vitamin C than even oranges.) hope you're feeling better soon! eat lots of brownies :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending healing thoughts your way! It is still too warm in Austin for "cold season"...at least that is what I'm hoping! These brownies would make me feel better...I love chocolate and peanut butter. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should always treat yourself to brownies when you are sick. Chocolate is the best medicine. ;) Hope you feel better soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. nyquil makes me sleep for too long! love your brownies :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a fantastic recipe!! These look incredible! I have never had dark chocolate chips in brownies OR cookies. Sounds like a dream though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brownies and Nyquil should have you back on your feet in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love recipes with peanut butter -- I bet the batter was so rich and delicious.

    I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw, I hope you feel better soon! At least there are delightful brownies to cheer you up :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. THESE will be dangerous for me! =) Looks so goood! I can never control myself around desserts, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Feel better! Seems like everyone's getting sick these days. Hope those amazing looking brownies helped a bit with the cold.

    ReplyDelete