Well, it was bound to happen.
The baking frenzy occurring in my kitchen has been taken to a new level. I'm like Animal from the Muppets, but my tool of choice is a KitchenAid stand mixer instead of a drum set.
I'm not complaining though. Also similar to Animal the Muppet, I love the holiday season and the baking that comes with it. During the month of December, there are worse things than choosing butter and sugar as your drugs of choice.
(Side note: While we're on the topic of Muppets, does anyone remember the original Muppets' Christmas movie from the 1980s? With a guest appearance by Jim Henson at the end? Classic.)
With all this holiday baking love going on, I've proclaimed today the first of my "Week of Sweets" on the Hungry Spoon. What better way to start the week than with Oreo Truffles?
I first tasted Oreo Truffles a few months ago when my co-worker brought them in for an office "Bake Off." They won the contest unanimously. With three ingredients, a bite-size form, and a silky white chocolate coating, I knew these had to make my holiday baking list. This batch is going with us to a Christmas party tonight. I hope there are lots left over :)
(recipe from my sweet co-worker, Sherry)
This recipe seriously turns up the volume on the classic Oreo. If you prefer, you could coat them in semi-sweet or milk chocolate. But the white chocolate just makes them look that much closer to heaven...
- 1 entire package of Oreos
- 1 (8 oz.) block of cream cheese, softened (1/3 reduced fat version works fine)
- White melting chocolate/candy coating
1) In a food processor, process Oreos until they reach a fine crumb. Beat Oreo crumbs with cream cheese in a stand mixer. Roll into balls and freeze (I let my freeze overnight, although this isn't necessary).
2) Melt the melting chocolate in a double boiler. Dip Oreo balls in white chocolate and refrigerate until set.