I apologize to those of you who tire of my chocolate + peanut butter obsessions.
And I especially give my regrets to any readers with a peanut allergy.
But when you make something that tastes like a Reese's peanut butter cup in your own kitchen, you're so bowled over with holiday happiness you just know you've got to share it with someone. Or everyone.
Peanut butter balls are a classic addition to any holiday cookie platter. They taste just like a peanut butter cup, only ten times better because they're created with that special homemade lovin'.
The first time I made these little balls of PB joy, I was told they're called "Buckeyes" by all of my college friends who hail from Ohio. That works. But so does Peanut Butter Ball. Or Chocolate Peanut Butter Addict Treats. Or you could just call them Pure Holiday Heaven.
Whatever you call them, make sure you make them, eat them, and love them. It's good for the soul. And it will certainly get you on Santa's Nice List.
Peanut Butter Balls
Your holiday cookie platter will not be complete without these little gems. They're simple to make and require few ingredients. And who doesn't love a homemade peanut butter cup?
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 jar (15 oz.) of creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 - 1/2 to 4 cups of powdered sugar
- 12 oz. bag of chocolate chips
- 2 TBSP shortening
1) Beat the butter, peanut butter, and vanilla together with an electric mixer until smooth. Beat in powdered sugar until a dry play-dough like consistency is reached. Roll and/or mold the mixture into small balls and place on waxed paper.
2) Melt chocolate and shortening in a double boiler. Place a toothpick in the center of a peanut butter ball and dip in chocolate. Repeat with remaining PB balls.
3) Leave a plate for Santa. It's a holiday requirement.