Thursday, August 19, 2010

Second-Day Slaw



We've all seen it, and we've all eaten it. You know what I'm talking about.

You've watched your cousin or little brother smother it on a hot dog with a little too much enthusiasm.

You've also seen it sit lonely, and hauntingly shiny, in its store-bought plastic container at the family cookout.

It's a staple at any American summer barbeque. And it desperately needs a makeover.

Yes, cole slaw, I'm talking about you.

Let's get something straight. In my pre-vegetarian days, I had no fear when it came to traditional deli cole slaw. I loved it. My favorite way to eat it? Heaped on a homemade pulled pork barbeque sandwich. Almost makes me want to eat meat again. (Not really, but I felt like being a little over-dramatic).

Adam, however, refuses to touch anything that looks like it has mayonnaise in it with a 10 foot pole. Thus, with the many new changes that came with married life, came my new perspective on cole slaw.

In addition to bruschetta, we also made Clean Eating's Edamame and Chickpea slaw last night. This vinegar-based slaw is tangy, filling, and far lighter than it's creamy, traditional counterpart. It is critical that you make this slaw one full day before you plan on eating it though! When eaten immediately after it's prepared, the flavors are too sharp and have not had time to blend. So, we call it "Second-Day Slaw."

Before I give you the recipe though, I thought you should get a glimpse of my two favorite mammals (Adam and Dora). While we eat dinner on the porch each evening, Dora has rejected the plush grass in favor of passing out in the massive dirt pile from our yard renovation. And, just to prove that there is a yard renovation, I've got a picture of Adam's latest extraction from the yard :)














Edamame and Chickpea Slaw
(from Clean Eating magazine)

This recipe makes A LOT...so if you're just cooking for 2 people, or even 4, I recommend cutting it in half

Ingredients:
  • 1 can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
  • 1 head of cabbage, shredded
  • 1 head of purple cabbage, shredded (we forgot the purple this time, so you won't see it in the picture)
  • 1 cup shelled edamame (you can get them in the frozen veggie aisle at any grocery store)
  • 3/4 cup bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded carrot
  • 4 green onions, chopped
  • 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 2 TBSP honey
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 1/2 tsp. caraway seeds
  • 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place chickpeas in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Drizzle with 2 tsp. oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake approximately 20 -30 minutes, tossing occasionally. Remove from oven and allow to cool.

2) Combine remaining vegetables in a large bowl. Add chickpeas and set aside.

3) In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, honey, garlic, caraway seeds, black pepper, and remaining 2 tsp. olive oil. Pour over slaw and mix to coat.

4) Refrigerate overnight, and mix well before serving.




1 comment:

  1. Hey Kylie: Thanks for the recipe! It looks easy to do. This recipe has all sorts of healthy good stuff! :-D I have never had chickpeas OR edamame in my coleslaw though, but I'm willing to test it out.

    Dora is cute! This may sound weird, but at my house, we call this "dead" dog syndrome. Our black lab is always in this position. In fact If we didn't exercise him he'd probably be in this position all day.

    ReplyDelete