Thursday, August 5, 2010

It's Brownie Time, Baby!



Ooey, gooey, chocolately richness in bar cookie form...brownie heaven on my plate! If you're looking for healthy inspiration in today's post, I'm going to disappoint. Don't turn away yet though--we all need some sinfully sweet indulgence every now and then.

Prior to graduate school, I had never attempted to bake a batch of brownies that didn't start with a box. During my first year of grad school, however, I discovered The Food Network and soon began experimenting "outside the box" (pun intended!) when it came to my baking. I still remember my first failed experiment--I tried to make a version of yogurt brownies, but all I had on hand was a carton of fat-free strawberry yogurt. I know, I know: complete foolishness.

Four years later, I'm thrilled to post the ultimate-I'll-never-turn-back brownie recipe, courtesy of my baking idol: Ina Garten. This is the only brownie recipe I ever use now, and if you're looking for a big favor from your loved one, these might do the trick: Ina reports that these brownies are single-handedly responsible for her husband proposing to her.

This batch is in honor of my friend Amy's upcoming birthday celebration. What better way to ring in a girl's 25th year?!

Ina Garten's Outrageous Brownies
To up the outrageous-factor, add a scoop of French Vanilla ice cream on top.
PS: This recipe is slightly altered from the original, as I cut it in half to fit in a 13 x 9 pan.
Ingredients:
  • 2 sticks of butter (NO substitutes!)
  • 8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 3 oz. unsweetened chocolate
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 TBSP instant coffee powder
  • 1 TBSP vanilla
  • 1 cup + 2 TBSP sugar
  • 1/2 cup flour + 1 TBSP flour (divided)
  • 1/2 TBSP baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
Directions:

1) Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13 x9 inch pan.

2) Melt butter, 8 oz. chocolate chips, and 3 oz. unsweetened chocolate in a double boiler over medium heat. Once melted, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.

3) Beat eggs, coffee, vanilla, and sugar at medium-high speed with an electric mixer, until foamy. Stir in cooled chocolate mixture.

4) In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir flour mixture into chocolate mixture.

5) In a small bowl, mix 1 cup of chocolate chips with 1 TBSP of flour. Add to the brownie batter.

6) Pour batter in prepared pan and bake for approximately 30 minutes. At 15 minute-mark, gently rap the pan to reduce puffing.

7) Allow to cool. Proceed with caution...this brownie will blow your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment