Friday, August 12, 2011

Single Serving Vegan Pancakes

Who doesn't look forward to a long-awaited day off from work?

And, more importantly, let's talk about what you'll do on your coveted day off.

For me, the only way to start an off-from-work day is with a not-so-ordinary breakfast. A bowl of cereal with a banana simply does not make the cut, folks. That's definitely a Work Day Breakfast.

Instead, I turn to my single serving Vegan Pancake recipe. I discovered this recipe for Blueberry Pie Pancakes on Katie's blog a few months ago, and it's rare that I've gone a week without making it since.

This special breakfast is super-fast to pull together, ridiculously delicious (blueberry pie for breakfast anyone?) and oh-so-healthy. Plus, the single serving size ensures that you don't go overboard on the first meal of the day (when faced with unlimited quantities of delicious food, I have no shame).

This morning, I started my day off with a scrumptious plate of pancakes, the latest edition of Vegetarian Times, and a little Today Show action on TV.

Life is good :)

Do you have a day from work coming up? These are some of my favorite "Day Off" breakfasts:


These can also serve as a quick work-day breakfast. Just measure and mix the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl the night before. In the morning, add the wet ingredients and blueberries, and you're ready to go!

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup flour (I use whole wheat)
  • 3/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 2 TBSP rolled oats
  • 1 tsp. brown sugar (if you like sweeter pancakes, you may want to add more sugar)
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup vanilla almond milk, unsweetened
  • 1/2 cup blueberries, coarsely mashed (I mash after I stir them into the batter)
  • 2 TBSP toasted chopped walnuts
Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir until well-combined. Heat a skillet over medium heat and spray liberally with cooking spray. Use a 1/3 cup measuring cup to scoop 2 pancakes onto the skillet. Cook for about 2 - 4 minutes, or until lightly browned on the bottom. Flip and repeat on the opposite side. Serve with blueberry sauce.




5 comments:

  1. these look fantastic!

    saturdays are my pancake day. I will have to try these out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummm that looks delicious! I wonder if they would work as waffles! I'll have to get out my waffle maker and find out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ingredients sound more like a cookie than a pancake...I'M SOLD!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need a day off...and I would be doing the same thing...a big delicious breakfast! I'm enjoying your words and photos as I sip on a tall glass of almond milk with a plate of graham crackers. Perfect Saturday night! Love and hugs from Austin.

    ReplyDelete