Friday, August 19, 2011

Cookie Dough...Cookies


Surprises are the best, aren't they?

Fresh flowers on the coffee table. Dinner ready when you get home from work. An impromptu ice cream date on a random Tuesday night.

A new book waiting for you on the kitchen counter...The Oxford Book of Modern Science Writing.

Wait a minute. Seriously? That's a surprise someone would want?

Friends, in my husband's world, there is no better surprise than a lengthy, detailed book on the topic of genetics, developmental biology, and the like. His brain contemplates mutations on the M8 gene of fruit fly at the same intensity that my brain ponders how to perfect my next pie crust.

Don't ask me to explain it, but it works.

With this in mind, I set out last week to surprise Adam with the Oxford's latest edition of Modern Science Writing. But I couldn't let the surprise stop there. I had to add some sweet lovin' into the mix.

Enter Cookie Dough Cookies.

That's right: They're cookies that taste like unbaked cookie dough. Again, don't ask me to explain. They're simply amazing.

Did I mention that they're vegan? They are. And that almost makes them healthy, right?

I set a little plate of these suckers right next to his new science-y book, and when he got home from work I watched the joy wash over over his face.

I'm not sure which he enjoyed more, but it was definitely a close race.

Cookie Dough Cookies
Makes 32 cookies

This recipe is based on the widely-acclaimed "Dough Ball" recipe that swept the blog world last year. The variations are endless. I've made them with sprinkles for a Funfetti version, and peanut butter for a PB version. You could white chocolate chips, chopped pecans, coconut, or mini M & Ms for your mix-ins.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups all-purpose, unbleached flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar (these cookies aren't too sweet; if you prefer a sweeter cookie, consider experimenting and increasing the sugar amount)
  • 1/3 cup non-hydrogenated vegan margarine, melted
  • 1/3 cup crunchy almond butter
  • 1/2 cup almond milk (or other milk of your choosing)
  • 2 - 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • For your mix-ins: For a chocolate-chipper version, use 1 cup mini chocolate chips (or full-size chocolate chips, coarsely chopped); Or, use rainbow sprinkles for a Funfetti version.
Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 and coat cookie sheets with cooking spray.

2) Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Beat in margarine, milk, and vanilla until well-combined. Stir in mix-ins.

3) Scoop dough by even tablespoon-fuls onto the cookie sheet. Do not flatten! Leave them in their cute little rounded shapes. Bake for 7 - 8 minutes--I like mine to stay slightly gooey in the middle (they are cookie dough cookies!).





6 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmm....these sound amazing! I'm sure the book is good (for someone who is into that kind of thing!), but I think I'd skip that and just eat the cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been in the cookie dough mood! These look like perfect afternoon/evening snacks. Thank you for sharing with me, my friend. I hope you are having a lovely and relaxing Sunday afternoon. I'm about to bake some blueberry and cream cookies. Much love and many blessings from Austin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These make me happy! I prefer the taste of raw cookie dough over the actual baked cookie itself. This is like the best of all worlds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. these would be so dangerous. i love the idea of a funfetti version!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen cookie dough balls everywhere but I haven't experienced them yet....Man this looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These cookies look super delicious - definitely my style of eating cookie dough :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Welcome to my tea party
    http://gobakeyourself.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete