Shortly after learning about this so-called fabulous sandwich, I discovered that it would be nearly impossible for me to find a marvelously meatless version. Whereas most classic sammies have a vegetarian sister sandwich (Beanball Subs, anyone?), the Muffaletta boasts salami, pepperoni, capicola, and ham as its star ingredients.
With a filling that dangerously meaty, I quickly learned that a meatless muffaletta would look more like a grilled cheese.
But wait! The other hallmark of a Muffaletta is seasoned, marinated olive salad. I can make this work, right?
I am a lover of all-things-sandwich, and I refuse to be defeated by this New Orleans sammie that claims to have no meat-free counterparts. I will make this work.
Adam and I created a Meatless Muffaletta tonight, inspired by the pages of this month's Vegetarian Times. Our sandwiches feature a homemade Spinach-Garlic Hummus slathered on fresh bread, and topped with marinated Artichoke-Olive-Roasted Red Pepper salad.
I may have to re-vist New Orleans....and show that meat-happy Muff who's boss.
Good news! If you're looking for a vegan Muffaletta, this sandwich is for you. Just omit the cheese and you won't even miss it. Also, If you're feeling industrious, make the Artichoke-Olive-Red Pepper salad from scratch (I wasn't feeling so industrious tonight...hence the pre-made salad).
- 1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 - 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 2 TBSP olive oil (or more, to taste)
- 1 cup (packed) chopped spinach leaves
- Homemade bread or sandwich buns
- Marinated Artichoke-Olive-Roasted Red Pepper salad (I cheated and purchased pre-made at the store!)
- Optional--Swiss cheese for topping (I went without; my cheese-head hubby loaded it on)
1) To prepare the hummus, blend chickpeas in a food processor until thoroughly processed. Add remaining ingredients and process until smooth. Add more olive oil, as needed to reach your desired consistency.
2) To assemble sandwich: Toast bread or bun. Slather with hummus, top with marinated salad.