Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I'll Take S'More Cupcakes, Please

S'mores make my heart dance, my tastebuds smile, and my hideously off-key voice sing. They're truly the edible essence of summer.

I'll be honest: marshmallows on their own don't do much for me. I don't like them jumbo or miniature, bunny-shaped or Halloween-themed, or even melted with my Rice Krispies.

But when those pillowy clouds of sugar are sandwiched between two sweet honey grahams and some milk chocolatey Hershey's goodness...Whew! Hellooooo, Marshmallow...

For Memorial Day weekend, I was eager to bring a summer-theme dessert to share at the family picnic. Although last year's blue ribbon winning S'More Bar Cookies were hard to beat, I was looking for something new to celebrate the arrival of summer.

Enter S'More Cupcakes.

I'll take s'more of those scrumptious cupcakes, please.

They're messy, they're gooey, and the tops are drizzled with more chocolate. Did I mention the rich chocolate buttercream?

Enough said. Let's get baking.

S'More Cupcakes

Nothing says summer like roasted marshmallows. When a bonfire isn't handy though, and you forgot to sharpen your marshmallow-roasting sticks, make these cupcakes for the potluck picnic instead.

Cupcake Ingredients:
  • Your favorite chocolate cupcake recipe, for 12 cupcakes (I used this fabulous recipe)
  • 1/2 cup milk chocolate mini chocolate chips
  • 1 cup graham cracker crumbs, divided
  • Mini marshmallows (about 6 per cupcake)
  • 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 2 tsp. milk
Chocolate Frosting Ingredients:
  • 10 TBSP butter, softened
  • 2 TBSP shortening
  • 3/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 3 - 3/4 cups powdered sugar
  • 3 - 5 TBSP milk
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
Directions:
1) Prepare chocolate cupcake batter (for 12 cupcakes). Stir in 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs and 1/2 cup mini milk chocolate chips. Bake cupcakes as directed and cool completely.

2) To prepare frosting: Cream butter and shortening together until light and fluffy. Beat in cocoa powder until well-blended. Beat in powdered sugar in 1/2 cup increments, adding a little milk after each sugar addition. Add vanilla extract and mix frosting until thoroughly combined (add more sugar or milk to reach desired consistency).

3) To prepare chocolate drizzle: Melt semi-sweet chocolate chips and 2 tsp. milk together in the microwave (or over a double-boiler).

4) To assemble: Spoon frosting into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe frosting high onto cupcakes. Place about 5 - 6 mini marshmallows around the cupcake. Drizzle with semi-sweet chocolate drizzle and sprinkle with crushed graham cracker crumbs.

18 comments:

  1. These are so cute!

    I love smores -- in any form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe! They look so yummy and fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What are you trying to do to me dahling??? Make me go off my diet? These look nommers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a fan of plain marshmallows either, but throw in some chocolate and cupcakes and I am lovin' it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love s'mores, but I love the idea of these cupcakes for summer events even better--you're brilliant! :-) Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm obsessed with s'mores and s'moreish desserts, like these cupcakes you are teasing me with! I want to go camping now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so clever!!! These would be the perfect cupcakes to take on a camping trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE s'mores and these cupcakes look amazing. I want one for breakfast!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, these look AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loooove s'mores too! Seriously s'mores in any kind of dessert form are always one of my favorites. Your cupcakes look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gah! I love s'mores! I don't eat them the traditional way though, because I dont like getting sticky! Instead I eat all the ingredients just straight up. These cupcakes look amazing though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey! I couldn't find your email address but I wanted to put FitFluential.com on your radar because I think you would be a good fit. Check out http://fitfluential.com for more info on who we are or feel free to email me if you have any questions!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whoa whoa whoa!!! Not fair posting photos like this on the internet!! Especially when I don't have the ingreds on hand to make my own :-P

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would take these cupcakes over s'mores any day of the week. They sound and look so good! Thank you for sharing another inspired recipe. I hope you have a wonderful start to your week. Hugs and love from Austin!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are a winner in my book! I love s'mores anything but have never made a s'mores cupcakes! They look fantastic...especially withe the extra chocolate drizzle...yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look so yummy! I agree, I'm not a huge marshmallow fan in general. But, add chocolate and graham crackers and I'm good with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look great and the combo is always great no matter how you make it. I'm in the same boat with your feelings on marshmallows but this topping looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just wanted to say hi and that I hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete