I'll be honest: marshmallows on their own don't do much for me. I don't like them jumbo or miniature, bunny-shaped or Halloween-themed, or even melted with my Rice Krispies.
But when those pillowy clouds of sugar are sandwiched between two sweet honey grahams and some milk chocolatey Hershey's goodness...Whew! Hellooooo, Marshmallow...
For Memorial Day weekend, I was eager to bring a summer-theme dessert to share at the family picnic. Although last year's blue ribbon winning S'More Bar Cookies were hard to beat, I was looking for something new to celebrate the arrival of summer.
Enter S'More Cupcakes.
I'll take s'more of those scrumptious cupcakes, please.
They're messy, they're gooey, and the tops are drizzled with more chocolate. Did I mention the rich chocolate buttercream?
Enough said. Let's get baking.
Nothing says summer like roasted marshmallows. When a bonfire isn't handy though, and you forgot to sharpen your marshmallow-roasting sticks, make these cupcakes for the potluck picnic instead.
- Your favorite chocolate cupcake recipe, for 12 cupcakes (I used this fabulous recipe)
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs, divided
- Mini marshmallows (about 6 per cupcake)
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tsp. milk
Chocolate Frosting Ingredients:
- 10 TBSP butter, softened
- 2 TBSP shortening
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 - 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 - 5 TBSP milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
1) Prepare chocolate cupcake batter (for 12 cupcakes). Stir in 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs and 1/2 cup mini milk chocolate chips. Bake cupcakes as directed and cool completely.
2) To prepare frosting: Cream butter and shortening together until light and fluffy. Beat in cocoa powder until well-blended. Beat in powdered sugar in 1/2 cup increments, adding a little milk after each sugar addition. Add vanilla extract and mix frosting until thoroughly combined (add more sugar or milk to reach desired consistency).
3) To prepare chocolate drizzle: Melt semi-sweet chocolate chips and 2 tsp. milk together in the microwave (or over a double-boiler).
4) To assemble: Spoon frosting into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe frosting high onto cupcakes. Place about 5 - 6 mini marshmallows around the cupcake. Drizzle with semi-sweet chocolate drizzle and sprinkle with crushed graham cracker crumbs.