Monday, September 27, 2010

Sell-Your-Soul Pumpkin Cookies


Yep, they're actually called "Sell-Your-Soul Pumpkin Cookies."

But then again, I wouldn't expect anything less from the superbly sassy and remarkably talented ladies of (you guessed it) Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar.

In my circle of life, pumpkin cookies need no introduction. They're simply that good. With a velvety soft texture, spiced pumpkin flavor, and melt-in-your-mouth consistency, every bite is like a Fall Fest celebration in my mouth.

Did I mention there's brown sugar frosting, too? It's a pumpkin cookie requirement where I come from.

The authors let us in on the secret that makes these cookies sell-your-soul worthy: Heating the 1 cup of pumpkin on the stove-top, and cooking it until it has reduced to 1/2 cup. By eliminating the pumpkin's high water content, your cookies are left with a more cookie-like texture, similar to the density and chewy-ness of a classic chocolate chipper (as opposed to the fluffier, cake-like texture of the traditional pumpkin cookie).

Needless to say, my family was on the brink of a soul-selling yard sale at our weekly Sunday lunch yesterday. Fortunately, our souls are still intact, but these cookies will not be forgotten. I've definitely found my go-to recipe to quench the pumpkin cookie crave.

What's your favorite go-to cookie recipe?

Sell-Your-Soul Pumpkin Cookies

These pumpkin cookies are un-beatable. Truly. Just plan ahead--the first start is to cook the pumpkin down for 30 - 45 minutes. The rest of the recipe is quick n' simple...and the result will bring a Fall Fest party right to your mouth.

Ingredients:
Cookies
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1/2 cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup oats
  • 2 TBSP cornstarch
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
Frosting:
(old recipe from a reader of our local newspaper "The Dominion Post")
  • 3 TBSP butter or non-hydrogenated vegan margarine
  • 1/4 cup milk (regular or non-dairy)
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup + 2 TBSP sifted powdered sugar (I forgot to sift mine this time, and ended up with a few lumps)
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
Directions:

1) First, reduce the pumpkin. Place it in a saucepan over medium heat for 30 - 45 minutes. Keep the heat low enough that it doesn't boil, but it should appear to be steaming. Stir often! at 30 minutes, put the pumpkin in a liquid measuring cup to see how much it has reduced (you want it to reduce to 1/2 cup). If it's not yet down to 1/2 cup, return to the pot and cook until it has reduced to 1/2 cup. Set aside and cool.

2) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two cookie sheets.

3) In a large mixing bowl, cream the shortening and sugars together until light and fluffy. Beat in the cooled pumpkin and vanilla.

4) Sift in remaining ingredients and thoroughly combine. Spoon dough onto cookie sheets in rounded tablespoon-fuls, flattening the top slightly.

5) Bake for 10 -12 minutes. Remove cookies from oven, allow to cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet, and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Now, let's get ready to frost 'em.

6) To make the frosting: Combine the butter, milk, and brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Boil slowly for 2 full minutes. Remove from heat and immediately add confectioner's sugar and vanilla. Beat until spreading consistency.
* Note: You've got to act fast with this frosting recipe! If you boil too long and the frosting becomes too think when you add the confectioner's sugar, just add a little milk until the right consistency is reached. Same goes for if it's too liquidy--just add a bit more confectioner's sugar until you get it the way you like it!

7) Frost those tasty pumpkin cookies! If you've got pumpkin seeds on hand, I would definitely sprinkle some on top (we were all out)

15 comments:

  1. Yum yum yum! I wish I had an oven so I could make them! :)

    http://annawalker1992.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh yes. Oh HECK yes. I just bought pumpkin yesterday (finally!!) and cannot WAIT to start cooking with it!! I think cookies are a must!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! I have this book, but haven't made this particular recipe. Perfect for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow, i'm so glad i found your blog because these cookies look AMAZING. (usually my cookies come from a tube.) thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ummm i am so excited. so these are crispier pumpkin cookies? score! i was just saying today that i don't like pumpkin cookies cause they're too cakey. now i have a recipe to try! thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say, I don't make cookies too often, but when I do, I always go for a good, basic chewy chocolate chip cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh! Pumpkin cookies took over my brain this weekend, but I haven't made any yet. These sound so good, and cooking the pumpkin down is genius! I do like the usual cakeyness of them, but the ones I've made were a little too fragile. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really intrigued by the reduced pumpkin in this recipe. I really need to try it out because my pumpkin cookies already come out cakey. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I literally just gasped. I am MAD for pumpkin right now and the icing looks crazy good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh WOWWW. these look divine!! and that is SUCH a good tip to reduce the pumpkin down... I will definitely use it! thank you for sharing such great bits of wisdom with us! :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have definitely sold me on this cookbook!!! These cookies look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. If I weren't gluten-free, I'd totally try these...they look amazingly delicious. I'm so into the fall, pumpkin spice mode. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy monkeys I wanted to reach through the screen and have one of those cookies RIGHT NOW!!!! Ahhh this will be the perfect vegan fall cookie!! I'm bookmarking this page! haha

    ReplyDelete
  14. these look so good! are these soft cookies? im sure they taste amaizing.

    ReplyDelete