Thursday, November 4, 2010

Baked Sweet 'Tater Fries


Many thanks to everyone for all of the sweet anniversary wishes! We definitely enjoyed our Funfetti Celebration yesterday.

But enough about cake. Let's talk sweet potatoes.

It's hard to beat the crispy, shoe-string sweet potato fries at Tailpipes--my favorite local, vegetarian-friendly diner. These sweet n' salty sticks of potato goodness are highly addictive, friends. Add a side of their signature "fry sauce?" I'll hit a food coma in under 60 seconds.

While I reserve my fried sweet tater indulgence for dining-out experiences only, I love re-creating a healthier version at home: baked sweet potato fries.

To be honest though, Adam is the architect behind this one. With my shrimpy arms and utter lack of brute strength, I loath cutting raw potatoes and thus leave this chore to him. As a result, he's naturally become the creative brain behind this recipe.

This weekend he made a plate of these guys to go with some tempeh sandwiches. The secret ingredient? Steak seasoning. Hey--we may not eat meat, but we're not opposed to its seasonings (Note: the "steak seasoning" contains sea salt, black pepper, red pepper, garlic, and paprika.).

I like to eat my baked sweet potato fries with homemade guacamole (mash an avocado, add some minced garlic, a little lime juice, and some chopped tomato and/or onion). But you can go wild with the condiment of your choice.

Baked Sweet Potato Fries
(from the Hungry Spoon kitchen)

Baked sweet potato fries are an easy side dish that accompanies any meal quite well. Try them with sandwiches, salads, or a bowl of soup. As noted above, I like to dip mine in homemade guac, but they're perfect fine condiment-less, too

Ingredients:
  • 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into thin slices (less than 1/4 inch thick)
  • olive oil
  • garlic powder
  • paprika
  • "steak" seasoning
  • ground black pepper
Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.

2) Place sweet potato slices (or "planks" as Adam likes to call them) in a large bowl. Drizzle just a little olive oil and stir to coat. Sprinkle a generous amount of garlic powder and a dash of paprika and stir to coat.

3) Spread sweet potato slices in a single layer on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with steak seasoning and black pepper. Bake for about 12 minutes, and then flip each slice over. Bake for another 12 minutes, or until lightly browned around the edges.

9 comments:

  1. I totally made butternut squash fries today! I guess we were both in a fry kind of mood today huh? I totally used garlic and paprika too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so good! I don't like cutting potatoes either...maybe I'll ask my husband to do it next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're huge sweet potato fries fans here! I also love cooking them with just a drip of red wine vinegar brushed on them.

    We have a huge bag of sweet potatoes in the closet. Maybe I need to whip up some this weekend for lunch...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks really good! I normally just eat squash fries, but I bet these would be really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also hate cutting raw potatoes and squash -- I swear either the table will break or the knife will!

    I love homemade fries like this!

    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet potatoes are SO much better than regular potatoes. I can't believe I've never eaten sweet potato fries with guac! Must try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet potato fries are a relatively new weakness for me! I used to hate sweet potatoes, but finally realized it was only when they were saturated with sugar and covered in marshmallows. :) The steak seasoning brings a whole new meaning to "steak fries"! I'll have to try that!

    As for cutting potatoes, squash, etc: someone recently told me to poke holes in them with a fork, microwave for a few minutes, and then cut them. Haven't tried it yet, but acorn squash, here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I lack the brute strength to chop up sweet potatoes too. I've been having my manbeast cut them for me...only to find out weeks later that he secretly hates sweet potatoes!
    hahahaa

    oh well.

    I will try this recipe to see if he changes his mind. Looks nummy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love sweet potato fries... now i'm craving them :)

    ReplyDelete